Included in our Training Camps
- Accommodation in 4 star hotel devoted to cycle training
- Supported group rides
- Mechanical support
- Garage and bike wash
- Free use of spa and gym
- Full Board (3 buffet meals each day)
- Wine with meals
- Training Advice
Winter Cycle Training Camps
Spain’s climate and varied terrain make it the perfect place to train in the off-season. That is why so many professional cycling teams base their winter cycling training camps here. We carefully selected the unrivaled location for our warm weather winter cycling training camps for the quiet roads, optimum climate, and facilities for cyclists. The hotel which is our base is the same four-star accommodation used by the Belgian Cycling Federation, and many of pro teams, in the village of Mojacar. We provide the accommodation, food, guidance, routes, and mechanical and group ride support, so that you can ride in their tyre-marks for a week. We can also provide bicycle rental, for more information please visit our bike rental page.
Winter Cycling Training Camps: Location
The Southeastern base for our cycle training camps is the up-and-coming bike training location in Spain, and you will be surrounded by hundreds of other riders from all over Europe working on their fitness. We carefully selected the location for a number of reasons.
- Above all the abundance of quiet, well maintained roads in the area, which makes riding much safer and more enjoyable than elsewhere.
- The optimum climate, with the most inviting winter weather in the peninsula.
- The terrain, with various climbs and flat routes. There are a host of climbs in the vicinity, including a rise up to over 800 meters in the Sierra Cabrera just 15 km away. Just over 20 km down the coast is the beautiful and isolated Natural Reserve Cabo de Gata, where perfect and empty roads snake through the volcanic rock along spectacular coasts.
- The coastal setting and the abundance of easily accessible alternative entertainment for down time.
Winter Cycling Training Camps: Tools to Train
We provide for almost everything on our cycle training camps, leaving you to focus on your riding. Our packages include:
- 3-4 group rides per week
- Support vehicle on paced group rides
- Three buffet meals per day in our beach-side four-star hotel. The lunch restaurant is held open to cater for riding schedules
- Use of bike-washing and mechanical facilities
- Use of gym and spa facilities
You can mix and match your riding schedule to meet your personal goals, combining our group rides with individual plans alone or with your riding companions. When numbers and physical level dictates we split our group rides to cater for different abilities and training needs. We are available for any assistance you need, and can advise you on your training schedule if you would like input.
Winter Cycling Training Camps: Leisure
Besides the riding, there is an abundance of entertainment options to occupy your free time. Features of the hotel include:
- Sauna, Jacuzzi, and heated pool
- Supplemental massage for tired legs
- Beachside setting
- Irish pub on premises, and there are numerous international bars and restaurants nearby.
We love our adopted country of Spain, and organize cultural activities and supplemental excursions during the week. If there is enough interest from the group we also often organize an additional ride elsewhere so our customers can discover nearby areas of great natural beauty or cultural significance. Options include Granada and the Sierra Nevada – containing the highest mountain on the mainland – or the citrus and almond tree lined Alpujarras.
You are welcome to bring along non-riding companions on your trip for a warm winter break, just get in touch and we can provide a discounted price.
Our regular winter bike training camps run from Saturday to Saturday. You may arrive on different days, though the minimum stay is one week, and transfer prices may vary depending upon group sizes and flight times. Underneath you can find a typical schedule on a training week, though the itinerary may vary from week to week.
The closest airport to our Mojacar base is Almeria Airport, you can find a list of airlines flying to the airport at this link, though winter services may be limited. Alicante Aiport is the next closest, and best connected with flights to all over Europe. Destinations and airlines flying to Alicante can be found at this link.
Day 1 (Day of Arrival, Saturday)
Arrival with airport pickup and transport to hotel.
Assemble your bike and explore the location.
Evening introductory briefing and meet & greet.
Moderate group ride discovering layout and main routes in area.
Following lunch exploration of area and, if necessary, assistance with your training plan and nutrition.
Long supported group ride in groups split on ability, relatively flat profile route, at a steady to high pace.
Late return for lunch followed by afternoon off to relax and recover.
Moderate group ride including mountain climb, or solo session focusing on personal goals.
Option to join excursion to Almeria city in the afternoon.
Long supported group ride with high intensity intervals to train performance.
Afternoon off for relax and recovery.
Either unsupported ride of choice, or if there is enough interest join a trip to the nearby Granada region. Excursion consists of early morning transport to outskirts Granada, with group ride including climb of Sierra Nevada, Spain's highest mainland mountain (weather permitting). Lunch in spectacular Granada and brief look around the city.
Final day riding, following route of choice. Pack up your bike and equipment at your leisure in the afternoon. Evening drinks to celebrate the activity of the week and toast to new friends.
Day 8 ( Day of departure, Saturday)
Morning departure for transport to airport.
Underneath you can find our schedule for the 2017-2018 period. Our bike training camps run from Saturday to Saturday. We can cater for guests who wish to arrive and/or depart on different days, though transfer fees may vary depending on arrival/departure times, and group size.
We expect our camps to fill up, so recommend reserving well ahead of time. Should you wish to participate in a camp on a date not listed, or wish to organize a private training camp for your group, please get in touch.
Winter / Spring 2017
- 17 - 23
- 3 - 10
- 10 - 17
- 17 - 24
- 7 - 14
- 14 - 20
- 12 - 19
The price for one week (7 nights, 6 days riding) in our warm weather cycling training camps for the 2017-2018 period is € 675, including all taxes and transfers from Almeria Airport.
Our standard training weeks run from Saturday to Saturday. You may arrive or depart on alternative days and join the group rides as fits your program, though pricing for transfers from Alicante may differ depending upon numbers and arrival / departure times. For groups of six and above the pricing for transfers is fixed. A list of carriers flying to Almeria can be found here, carriers flying to Alicante can be found here.
Included in the pricing for our winter cycling training camp packages:
- 7 nights accommodation ( Saturday to Saturday in standard twin or double, option to upgrade to single occupation)
- Full Board (buffet breakfast, lunch, and evening meal)
- Transfers to/from Almeria airport (there is a surcharge for bike box transfer, or transfer to and from Alicante airport)
- Access to bike wash facilities and workshop
- Supported and non-supported group rides along quiet routes
- Basic mechanical assistance
- Optional cultural activities
- Based in coastal resort with international bars and restaurants, shopping etc.
- Supplement for single occupancy accommodation - € 150
- Pick up and drop off in Alicante Airport € 60 *
- Additional fee for bike box transfers ( return transfer to and from Almeria or Alicante Airport) € 40
- Laundry - same day ride clothes wash and dry service just € 1
- Energy bars and gels - can be bought from us
- Bike hire - price dependent upon bicycle and period. View our bicycle rental page or contact us to discuss options.
- Participation in any additional riding / cultural excursion to nearby locations - price dependent on excursion. Nearby locations include the Alpujarras, Granada, and the Sierra Nevada, mainland Spain's highest peak
- Non-riding friends and family welcome to accompany for a warm weather break - contact us for discounted pricing for non-riding companions
- Major Mechanical assistance and spare parts
- Additional nights (based on shared accommodation) - € 75
- Flights to and from Spain
- Almeria airport is the closest to our location, though Alicante is the best served with flights all over Europe
- Personal Insurance - Insurance is a prerequisite of participation in any trip or training camp organized by Cycling the Spains, you will be required to provide evidence of having obtained insurance prior to arrival
* Transfer to and from Alicante Airport for groups of less than six persons is on a shuttle service. Exact timings depend upon scheduled arrivals for that day, but generally on Saturdays shuttles depart the airport at around midday and around 1700-1800 in the afternoon. Additional services are arranged for later arrivals as necessary. We do our best to minimize waiting times, or to offer you the chance to store luggage and visit Alicante City in the event of waiting times, but you may wish to take account of these times in organizing your flights.
Groups of six and above have a dedicated vehicle for pickup, or private shuttles can be arranged for smaller numbers for a surcharge upon request.